Started in the Bay Area. Been working in PR for 11 years -- enterprise and consumer tech -- and have lived in a rural town in Idaho since 1998. By day I live the scrambled and fast-paced life of a comms consultant with a firm in Silicon Valley. The rest of the time I'm just a flip flop-wearin' wife and mom to two kids in a town where you have to hunt down the rare wireless connection, the only highway is two lanes, and the post office workers know me by name.

Friday, July 11, 2008

BlogHer: One of the most eco-friendly tech conferences I’ve been a part of


Next Wednesday I’ll be leaving scorching hot Idaho for foggy and cold San Francisco. As if I didn’t get enough winter already this year. (Winter pretty much lasts from Oct. – May in ID.) Ahhh, well it’s a good thing then that I never put away my massive collection of pashminas and scarves then. But, it’s all worth it because I’m heading West again for the BlogHer conference.

This will be my first time heading to BlogHer and while I am excited about the lineup of speakers and topics, so far I am most pleasantly surprised by how environmentally minded the show organizers are. In the pre-conference guide it communicates an effort toward going green. I’m not an environmentalist by any means, although I DID go see An Inconvenient Truth in the theater which “scared” our family into trying to do its part. But maybe my “ignorance” is why all these efforts jumped out at me.

Some of the “little things” BlogHer is doing on this front:
* They won’t be providing bottled water and are asking folks bring their own reusable containers for water while at the show.
* They asked the venue, the Westin St. Francis on Union Sqr, to increase the number of recycling receptacles provided so that attendees will find it even more convenient to recycle.
* In its pre-conference guide it urges attendees to “power down, don’t just 'sleep'” when it comes to charging laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc. because leaving those items plugged in – even fully charged – still burns energy. The guide includes the quote that in 2010, according to estimates made by the DoE, 20 percent of each American’s electricity bill will come from appliances on standby.
* Their conference totes are reusable organic totes, perfect for a city with a ban on plastic grocery bags.
* Michelin, a BlogHer sponsor, is committed to offsetting 200 tons of CO2 to help w environmental impact of the conference.

For me, I’ll probably learn as much about making changes to my every day life to be more eco-friendly as I will about blogging.

No comments: