Started in the Bay Area. Been working in PR for 11 years -- enterprise and consumer tech -- and have lived in a rural town in Idaho since 1998. By day I live the scrambled and fast-paced life of a comms consultant with a firm in Silicon Valley. The rest of the time I'm just a flip flop-wearin' wife and mom to two kids in a town where you have to hunt down the rare wireless connection, the only highway is two lanes, and the post office workers know me by name.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Phew, it's not just me (not that it helps)


This CNN story on "mommy guilt" struck a chord with me. The anchor/author, Judy Fortin, and her interviewees hit on some of the emotions I feel every day.


It's hard to be a stay-at-home mom -- it's a lot of work. I "temped" at it for 9 months cumulatively (with 2 kids) and it's more challenging than anyone that hasn't been there can ever imagine. Makes the lunch breaks and benefits offered by Wal-Mart look luxurious.


But, it's also hard to be a worker bee and mother too. If I didn't work where I do...I am not sure I would be sane (or am I anyway?). I feel lucky I work where I do because it gives me flexibility many other working moms don't have. I get to do the Mother's Day "Mommy and Me Tea Party" with my two year old. I get to watch both kids and the ensuing mayhem in their Hop-a-Thon, Bike-A-Thon, etc. when they roll around. And, I get to attend each Winter/Spring program where my son yells the words instead of singing them while fist pumping all over the place and my daughter would rather lift her dress over her head and then laugh maniacally.


However, it *seems* no matter what choice I make (Hop-a-Thon versus con call) I feel guilty about something. Am I shortchanging my kids by dropping them off to school in the morning and saying goodbye to them until 5? Am I letting my colleagues down by bolting early to go do the preschool pickup? And... to top all that off I then feel guilty that all the decisions are between kids and work and I don't take care of me and my health.


Or maybe I should just let go and realize I can't be the end all be all for everyone.


Naahh...that doesn't feel right either. ;)



1 comment:

Susan said...

It definitely isn't just you. I think women tend to feel guilty, and having the responsibility of kids makes it worse. We have to actively fight our inner tendencies, not to mention external pressures, to feel good about our choices.

Susan at Working Moms Against Guilt