Started in the Bay Area. Been working in PR for 11 years -- enterprise and consumer tech -- and have lived in a rural town in Idaho since 1998. By day I live the scrambled and fast-paced life of a comms consultant with a firm in Silicon Valley. The rest of the time I'm just a flip flop-wearin' wife and mom to two kids in a town where you have to hunt down the rare wireless connection, the only highway is two lanes, and the post office workers know me by name.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Social Networking (aka those annoying invitations to join so-and-so’s network)


Those of you reading that know me from work know that I’m an avid Facebooker (new word, I guess). To those of you out there that are in the family and friends category and are not already on Facebook, you’ve probably heard me encourage you to sign up or speak to its benefits – professionally and socially.

So far, from my family, I have one convert. My mom. The fearless tech pioneer that brought Rat Maze and Goldmine into our house via our Commodore PET 8032 computer in the early 80s. One of my aunts and several of my cousins are also on Facebook. I swear I know more about their lives now than I ever did growing up as a kid. It’s pretty great.

Anyway, if you’re wondering why you might want to look into joining a social network, like Facebook or LinkedIn (where I also have a profile but spend far less time) this PBS MediaShift blog post offers some general education on social networks (if you won’t just join Facebook to see pictures of my son’s rockin pirate ship birthday cake). For you "oldies", there's even http://www.boomer.com/!


No comments: