Started in the Bay Area. Been working in PR for 11 years -- enterprise and consumer tech -- and have lived in a rural town in Idaho since 1998. By day I live the scrambled and fast-paced life of a comms consultant with a firm in Silicon Valley. The rest of the time I'm just a flip flop-wearin' wife and mom to two kids in a town where you have to hunt down the rare wireless connection, the only highway is two lanes, and the post office workers know me by name.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

reason #1,097,923 why my mom rocks

My mom has always set a good example for me to follow in regards to paying attention (to many things in life). Example number 1,097,923 follows in the form of an email I received from my mom the other day.


I had the opportunity to attend a NARAL luncheon in Napa and hear Sarah Weddington, the lady who argued the winning side of the landmark case Roe v. Wade before the Supreme Court which gave women the right to chose whether or not they wanted an abortion. It was like seeing and touching a part of history. She told how when she graduated with her law class she was one of 5 women and couldn’t find a job. Going before the Supreme Court was actually her first case! She was such a good speaker, setting the scene for going into the Supreme Court and giving the background. She also was a close friend and colleague of Ann Richardson, deceased ex-governer of Texas and Molly Ivens who just passed away. She was awesome!!

No matter which side of the Pro Choice/Pro Life fence you prefer to reside on there is one common denominator -- we should all pay attention to the issues facing us today. And, we could all learn a little something by paying attention to the past. Anyway... I think my mom rocks. I love that she is so involved and is passionate about the issues that matter to her.

No comments: