Started in the Bay Area. Been working in PR for 11 years -- enterprise and consumer tech -- and have lived in a rural town in Idaho since 1998. By day I live the scrambled and fast-paced life of a comms consultant with a firm in Silicon Valley. The rest of the time I'm just a flip flop-wearin' wife and mom to two kids in a town where you have to hunt down the rare wireless connection, the only highway is two lanes, and the post office workers know me by name.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Diary of my last trip.


Commuting again. I used to live in the Bay Area for several years so for the life of me I can’t understand how I am so municipal transportationally challenged. I think my coworker wanted to kick my arse for asking so many “obvious” qs about CalTrain. The only reason she probably did not put on the hurt is because we’re on the same client team and it might have put her in a bind. The train ride was actually great for mental prep time. LAME though that none of the bullets have wireless yet. Isn’t this supposed to be the land of the original technology boom?

Recruiting. Met with two candidates last week while in Calif. Both were solid. Nice to see an upswing in the talent pool again. For a while there was a serious famine in the SCE/Supe/Director pool. Still seems very much like the employees’ market, but promising to see engaging, talented and bright folks back at that level. Yay for us!

Client lunch. Our “quick lunch date” turned ugly as it became “that hostess hates us” at P.F. Changs. Darn good thing my ground chicken and eggplant plate was MMMmmmmm good. Also solid company. Always a fun time when even after six+ years of working side-by-side w/ a client you still learn a little “dirt” on them. It’s also fun to lightly haze the “newer” (almost three years on the account as compared to my nearly seven) folks on the account too. Bingo, anyone?

Footloose. No blisters this time. Hallelujah. Of course, it’s winter and I wore only boots rather than strappy sandals and stilettos. Whatever. Just glad my extremities were happy with the shoe choices.

New faces. Got to physically meet a few of the folks that joined our crazy fam in recent months. Although entrenched in the new hire process, this was the first opportunity I’d had to meet two of our new peeps. Seem like very solid additions and I’m damn glad to have them onboard.

What the hell was that? We took one of our candidates to the Samovar Tea Lounge in S.F. Conversation and company were great. Tea was great. What they define as a “veggie” for the Japanese meal is not at all fair to a Western bacon cheeseburger-loving lady like me. Something green, slippery and horridly fragrant slithered down my throat unexpectedly while in the middle of the interview. I looked, wide eyed and aghast, to my colleague and although she kept the conversation moving and pretended not to notice for the sake of the interview, I could tell that she was laughing AT me on the inside – I saw that evil spark in her eye.

SAUSAGE. I had such fun playing the sausage game while in the office. Every office should have some version of this game.

And on that fond memory of playing sausage, I am signing off.

No comments: