Started in the Bay Area. Been working in PR for 11 years -- enterprise and consumer tech -- and have lived in a rural town in Idaho since 1998. By day I live the scrambled and fast-paced life of a comms consultant with a firm in Silicon Valley. The rest of the time I'm just a flip flop-wearin' wife and mom to two kids in a town where you have to hunt down the rare wireless connection, the only highway is two lanes, and the post office workers know me by name.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

No-thank you, Mr. MacAdoo


I know, I know. It's been over a week. It's very busy leading a double life.

My sister was in town last weekend from Hotlanta, GA. which was all fun and games. Then, I had to work my arse off this week so I could have a four day weekend (rough, I know but it's work sponsored - how cool is that?). While she was here we watched the Emmys together. Conan was nails. Turned the normally bland programming on its head. However, my absolute favorite part of the Emmys wasn't a Conan segment - it was actual reality tv (ok, an acceptance speech).

Greg Garcia won for writing "My Name is Earl" and issued some no-thanks: "My eighth-grade social studies teacher told me to sit down and shut up because I wasn't funny -- no-thank you, Mr. MacAdoo. My boss when I was a PA on the show 'Step by Step,' who made me clean gum off the executive producer's shoe -- no thank you, ma'am, I do not share this with you."-- Chicago Sun-Times <


Creative. Very creative. I actually hit "rewind" to watch the acceptance speech several times and then made my husband watch it when he came in from the other room after watching Entourage. I love that someone had the cajones to call out the dream squashers.

Also on the Emmys and an "ah ha" moment (no not the 80s band),I own Tivo and thought all the Tivo/network advertising rants were funny. What is the difference between getting up and leaving the room versus fast forwarding commercials? Maybe the difference between gaining weight and getting a bladder infection?

3 comments:

Joe in Berlin said...

This is great, sticking it to the people who mistreated you in the past. I like it, it's a fresh spin on the old acceptance speech, although it makes me think two things: 1)Do you want to even give them the satisfaction of mentioning their name? and 2) Maybe this is a new parenting technique, stealing dreams so your children can be successful, like "you'll never amount to anything" so that they WILL amount to something, kind of a twisted reverse psychology.

Joe in Berlin said...

This is a cool speech!

Joe in Berlin said...

This is a cool speech!